Thursday, April 15, 2010

Javvarisi Murruku / Sago Murruku for Indian Cooking Challenge

Making this murruku  for this months ICC was a new experience for me in two aspects, one was the javvarisi part and the other was besan part. Never tried a murruku with kadalai maavu in it. I had a packet of Javaraisi with me, which I got from India, but it has been a year now,but 
I tried with that and as suspected it didnt soak well , even after 5 hours.  I was very scared to use that one in the murruku, after reading srivalli's fire crackers experience. I have already done that once with 'seedai' experiment and didnt want to undergo that again. So I gave it a pulse in the mixer and made the dough out of it.


The murruku turned out very well. When I made the first batch, I was almost 4 feet away from the oil pot hoping some rockets might come out of it. You see it was such a bad experience with seedai the first time. As the first batch went well, I happily made the rest within an hour.
I liked the taste of the murruku, quite different from what I regularly make.

Ingredients:
Rice Flour 2 cups

Besan flour 1/2 cup
Fried gram flour - 1/2 cup
Sago - 1/2 cup
Buttermilk 1 cup
chilli powder 1/2 tsp

Method:
Soak the Sago in 1 cup Buttermilk for 5-6 hrs,minimum 2 hrs. Add some more water after 2 hrs if all buttermilk is absorbed by the Sago. If its still not soaked well after 5 hrs give it a pulse in mixer.That what I did.
Powder the Dalia/Pottukadalai  in the mixer and sieve it well.
Mix all the dry flours , salt and chilli powder.Stir well to combine.
Now add the soaked Javvarrisi/sago and mix well. Add water little by little if required and knead to form a chappati dough consistency.
Heat up oil in a deep pot and press the dough directly into the hot oil using the murruku press. Reduce the heat to medium and take out once it turns golden brown.


Hope you all enjoyed making this months challenge as well as reading about it in other blogs.

8 comments:

Nithu Bala said...

Javvarisi Murukku looks too crispy..very nice pictures..

Madhuri Krishna Bhat said...

Yummy.Drooling I want that.

Monika said...

wow urs look perfect.... i also grinded was very scared after reading srivalli fire crackers

Pari Vasisht said...

A wise decision I must say that u turned the sago in mixer. It surely can be very scary, the muruku looks nice.

Priya Suresh said...

Thats a brilliant idea of grinding sago..murukku looks super crispy and fabulous..

Anonymous said...

after three hours of soaking I wasn't sure either, if my sago was soaked enough... anyway I had to soak it overnight, because something came up that afternoon and could not make the muruku the same day... I made them the following afternoon and came out fine..

Swathi said...

Sumi,

Muruku looks really good.

Cham said...

That looks fabulous almost cannot see the sagu, u ve pulsed- not bad!

Related Posts with Thumbnails